View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is immersion better in MUDs?

There are some 1400 MUDs out there, and they can pretty much be tailored to specific user groups. People have a lot of different taste and I imagine that a lot of people define immersion differently. My opinion is that the MMO games are just too big and target too big audience. See it as a book. I am sure most people have started read a book and it turns out to be the wost book they have ever read - while at the same time there are people who find that book to be one of the greatest.

It is interesting that the "essay" points out that MMOs around 1999 when the author appearently played his/her first MMO was very immersive. I have frequently read in the past that people usually compare future muds/mmos to the first one the played - and usually that first mud keeps getting better.

I think it is very wrong to say that graphics yield immersion. If the user is up to the activity and become very engage in it then they are immersed. No matter if it is reading a book, stacking books, or cleaning a room .
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote