View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #77
Butler

Home MUD: Aardwolf
Butler is on a distinguished road
Re: Do MUDs need to be "brought into the 21st century"

Good graphics dont need to be expensive. Anything like the Inventory items i did will take maybe an hour or so, and if you go to something like thespritersresource.com , once you have enough post, request a design, explain why you want it, and probably they'll give let you use it without royalties, as long as they keep copyright. As for making scenes, get a few basic backgrounds, buildings etc. then use the wonder of layers.

As for saying i took the GUI elements from classic game, i didn't. I just took it from a generic MMO. Its actually the first thing i panicked about in my first few minutes of trying a MUD, after navigation is trying to figure out what i've got and have. As for the character on opposition...i kind of got the basic idea from God Wars II...when i fought the practice dummy I generally based my idea off 3 games: Maps and text off Aardwolf, Basic HUD shape off God Wars II and Inventory from an MMO.

And as has been pointed out above, client development is a visual upgrade. Actually, the reason why I tried God Wars II is its interesting client, apposed to the restricted ones i saw elsewhere. As for elements that make playing easier than typing, i dont think you need too much, maybe a few buttons for the most common commands, like the quick keys in God Wars II or Aliases in other games. Obviously these should have a delay in input, to make PvP fair. I think the wall of text needs to be their, or else you might lose sight of what your working on. Key is to make something user friendly enough that people will be more likely to play, but not too useful that people get overreliant on it. they need to know what text is associated with which GUI input.

As for programming side of things, i admit it, im not a programmer like most of you. I'm a graphics man who can do basic computer generated and ok hand draw graphics. Hey wait, theirs quite alot of people who do that, actually i found one site with a bigger community who do mostly that. For no money.

I also know of a video game music designer who works for a one off fee, and will work on your project until your pleased with it.

Also, just kind of to go back, you should still think of writing to niche mags like Linux Format to get game reviews. Anyway for those interested, todays last day before i write to RetroGamer magazine. They cover stuff similiar to your games, and once notified, will probably review your MUDGamer iOS app, and some of the more popular games.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote