View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie Areas: What To Incorporate?

Well, I've got three.

1: I better be able to skip it without being penalized. If you are going to give newbies all sorts of rewards for going through it, and if I am not new to muds, I should be able to skip it, starting on the same playing field as all the newbies who learned how to use the kill command. I think newbie areas need to be skippable unless they are really something special/unique (genesis mud comes to mind here, as does alter aeon with the somewhat recent newbie area redo). If the newbie area is the actual game and not some sort of condensed watered down tutorial, I might consider taking part; even then, I like to see the option of skipping without penalty.

2: Your unique features. There's a lot of muds that advertise all sorts of unique features that you can't even learn about until level 15. If you've got super cool area scrypting system 2000, show it off. If you've got crafting, show that off too. I want to see why I should play your mud in the newbie area, not just how to play your mud.

3: I had a third one, but it pretty much folded into point 1 and doesn't need repeating: make the newbie area actual gameplay with actual risks, etc.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote