View Single Post
Old 08-28-2002, 12:15 PM   #10
Sapphar

*laugh* Not to be a pest, Jazuela, but I have to disagree on that one.

Jazuela grins.

If I haven't gotten to know Jazuela a bit better, seen her "grin" in more detail, then I can interpret a grin in a wide variety of ways.

Grins are often used as mild enjoyment.  Sometimes they are used as a mocking response.  They can be taken as the "evil" or "dark" version of a smile.  They can be seen as snide.  Given how many nasty character's I've met and my characters have met who prefer to grin and not smile, grins carry all sorts of connotations.  So until I see something like...

Jazuela grins with a expression of playful, if subdued, mirth on her face.

... I'm not going to know in the future what that grin means.  And my character might be affronted by it, depending on the use.

And the same can be said of a lot of socials.  If someone is going to hug my character for the first time, particularly if they are an unlikely hugger, I'd like to know, did they just hug my character with a warm, comfortable embrace?  Did they do one of those hugs where you keep your bodies as far apart as is possible?  Was it more of an arm around the shoulder type hug?  Was it a pat on the back, light little hug?  Did the oversized titan just squeeze the breath out of my character?  

I'm sure you get the point.  Socials are useful, but more useful once you know the character and the player behind the character has shared some of their character's personal traits via more detailed emotes.

Sapphar