View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 08:54 PM   #4
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
Hey there,

My last thread showed a little bit of what I was doing, and I've now finished my "biggest accomplishment" to date...

It's a restructuring of OLC that should make builders much happier. Based on Ivan's OLC, it takes out the ability for immortals to add areas and assigns that to the implementor only, and then uses "segments", or logical segmenting of area files, to keep track of what zone is which.

This on the surface seems pretty pointless, but the added bonuses continue to pop up. Segments don't have predefined numbers of vnums to be used with them, so the builder can create anything they want and never have to worry about vnum holes (unused vnums within an area); the code takes care of looking up the last vnum used in the area, and the room/obj/mob is automatically assigned a number which correllates to the segment being added to.

Not only that, but in a one-area MUD with logical segmenting of the vnums, you can reset anything anywhere, so there's no more need to copy over the values of that cool sword or beefy ogre you saw in someone else's area; just reset it, and go.

I'm continuing to pursue this restructuring, looking for ways to make it better, and I'll be releasing my code base as a whole in probably 6 months give or take, and I'll be happy to give out a patch to the mud community at that point.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote