View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 05:59 PM   #11
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Visko, any system can look bad if you sufficiently mismanage it.

So he singlemindedly kills every player in the game who has said sword, and hoards them all onto a carrier char which never logs on again.

Carrion Fields is a roleplaying MUD, so it's not as simple as "kill every player in the game who has a sword". Also, why would you want more than a couple good swords? What's your incentive to gather 10 of these? To convince groups of enemies to come kill you for the extras?

Also, our rules forbid having two of your characters on, or transferring equipment among your characters via intermediaries. We also have code in place which searches out and purges limited items from inactive characters. Storage characters are expressly forbidden. Also, our object limits scale with the size of the playerbase, so as we grow, the limits do as well.

Seeing the problem? I've actually seen it happen before; one guy who was very powerful from hours upon hours of character building, collected every valuable and hard-to-get piece of eq in the game, and then disappeared for 6 months. It can be a serious issue, and that particular rule/code especially has, in my experience, caused more problems than any other individual one.

I think the problem isn't the equipment, it's permitting hoarding, multicharring, and storage characters. While we keep a lot of the details under our hats (because we don't want people skirting the edges of the system), I can say with confidence that you can build a system where this is not a big deal. We've had a limited item system for 8 years, and it serves us well, encouraging the sorts of things I mentioned in my post above.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote