View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002, 11:06 AM   #5
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Aside from a few problems with balance (particularly in regard to long weapons having a distinct advantage), the only real "disadvantage" was that people rarely changed equipment. However I consider that to be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. In a more HnS-oriented mud, it's fine for characters to constantly upgrade their equipment, but in a more RP-oriented environment I think it's rather silly - clothing, weapons and armour are a part of the character concept, after all. For example, you have a WoT theme, I believe? I've not seen your mud, but I would imagine that in a WoT themed mud the Asha'man would wear plain black coats with high collars, perhaps with one or two of the pins - I wouldn't expect them to throw away their coats just because they found a nifty dragonskin shirt which gave extra bonuses. Equally I wouldn't expect to see an Aes Sedai remove her ring so that she can wear two rings of MegaDamage. I wouldn't expect to see an Aiel using any type of sword, no matter how big the bonuses it granted, nor would I expect to see a Warder swap his colour-shifting cloak for a damage-enhancing one.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote