View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 03:49 PM   #7
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
I think the original subquestion lingering which needs to be addressed first: is you mud based on killing players a lot, or more RP and exploration/eq-hoarding in nature?

If you like building areas all the time, getting players to constantly explore new places and encounter new problems, then having eq with stats and bonuses of various types is a fine thing, providing that you balance the equipment throughout the mud, and don't just throw a really cool mage area in, forget about the game, and let mages rule the world.

On the other hand, if you have some kind of pk-oriented mud in which people hiding in their clan halls causes some major problems to the overall balance of a game, and in which a player with a lot of really good eq can beat the hell out of everyone else in the game, you have a problem.

I address the latter of the two more often, because I'm a consummate pker. I've found that the easiest way to get around eq being a problem is to have it be abundant. Eq can be insanely powerful, unfair, and horrible in balance, as long as there's so much of it to go around that it becomes, in effect, worthless. Eq is necessary for function in the mud, but it isn't the focus of the game; you can get equipment so quickly that stockpiling it is easy. At that point you've also negated the annoying regeneration/re-eqing aspect of the game, which can detract from the actual mob-killing and pk.

Just my take on the thing,
-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote