View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 07:12 PM   #8
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Well lacking a response from KaVir (who is "the dood" as far as what I've read here about dynamic), I think I'm gonna go with Robbert's explanation and answer.

Just so's ya know - it isn't my game (I know you knw that, but other readers might not realize it after reading you refer to it as that). It's GemStoneIII, and there's this arguement on an unofficial game forum about some new changes.

The change now has Joe the The Human (which always existed) changed to Joe the Human, who appears to be from Jantalaar.

My concern when I posted, was how the heck does anyone know *just by looking at someone* where they're from? The brand new documentation on the new "culture" racial things doesn't say that Jantalaars are heavier than other humans, or always have a mole on their nose, or always wear their hair shaved closely to the scalp. There's nothing to differentiate between a Jantalar human and any other type of human.

So I told the readers I thought the change was lame, that it detracts from roleplay, because the twits who "don't get it" now have one more way to "not roleplay" - they don't have to ask "where are you from?" because their computer screen tells them where you're from. It doesn't promote roleplay, it doesn't promote anything, and so I felt it was a waste of the coders' time when they could've been spending their time coding more interesting things. And I mentioned dynamics as an example.

Well the floodgates burst open on that, and no one's interested in even thinking that anything could be better, yet they're also not interested in looking at places I think do it better.

I don't even PLAY games that have dynamic code, because it's my personal preference not to. But I just thought it was danged myopic and narrowminded of them to refuse to entertain the idea that such code *could* be an improvement, and since coders do this sort of thing FREE elsewhere, why can't the coders of this other game even consider it as an option?

::shrugs:: At least now I can refute their claim that it isn't viable. It is, and Robbert says so, and I trust his thoughts on this stuff because he's one of the ones who does it. So there. Nya.

R - who loves being right.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote