View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Well it's a custom code and scripting engine. Its original code was a direct offshoot of C, when it was part of the Iron Crown Enterprises and RoleMaster licensing. Simutronics and ICE ended their relationship and Simutronics had to rewrite specific parts of the game (the parts that the players see) that referred to the old game's "things" such as the various names of towns and streets, critter names, and the like. From that point on, all subsequent coding was done with what they call GSL: GemStone Scripting Language. Unfortunately, GSL and C aren't the most compatible languages in the world, and there have been tons of logistics problems from "fixing" the warrior class to spell implementation and even as far as the creation of new critters and maneuver attacks.

Now, instead of fixing what's broke, they're throwing the dogs a bone, so to speak. Problem is, they're not dogs, but they don't even know that bones come from steak. They're not even listed here as a game on TopMudSites, and hardly any of them even read this or any of the other gaming forums. Many don't even realize there ARE other text games out there, except for a few pay-to-plays that are in competition or created by ex-GemStone staffers.

Kinda sad, eh? But then I was one of those types til last year, when someone said we should vote for our favorite game on this website. The difference between the others and myself (and a few like me) from there, is that the others refuse to even acknowledge that other games not only exist, but could possibly be a learning tool for Simu staff. Those like myself have learned by keeping an open mind.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote