Thread: New Smaug Area
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Smaug Area

Since you mentioned it is a basic smaug I am going to guess the mud is mainly gear-based? Players will mostly be exploring areas for items/potions/scrolls? If that is the case then you will want new areas that cater to that demand. If you ask me that calls for just making some mindless dungeon romps - put a line of 20 monsters in front of a boss and nice items on the boss, make it a challenge so that the players need to group. That's the basic formula. Its nice to have this for your "max level" players.

If you already have enough areas like that, and are just looking for ways to make things less lacklustre, you might want to actually look into improving those basic areas.. for example, in AR, instead of hitting a wall and reading "Alas, you cannot go that way" it will say something unique in every room like "The trees rise to prevent you passing by." which is very nice for atmosphere. And obviously there's lots of fun mobs.. bards that you can pay to sing songs, alchemists that sell potions, hard-coded custom quests (we have lots of these, one has the player character visiting every pub in Thera and getting drunk there, another is a search for buried treasure that ends in being afflicted by a long-lasting hex). Those are the common things that mud makers code into these sort of codebases. You might also want to put in games like blackjack and poker if the setting allows. My ideas tend to lean toward what players can have the most fun with. You may get the best responses by just asking your players what they'd like to be able to do.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote