View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Orion

Orion is on a distinguished road
Re: The Key Element - RPI MUD's

SnowTroll, in reply on the comments you made on the things that I felt would be helpful:

1. I didn't say it was unique to have items. But I think you should either you have a game where items are obtainable by some means (by the character) or you have a game where there are no items of any kind and you just assume they are there. What I don't think you should have is a game that requires you to ask the staff for most items. One reason players bitched and moaned on a MUD I recently played was that the staff didn't do item requests quickly enough. Players required props for plots, they even had the funds, but had to wait months, constantly prompting the staff in the meantime to do their requests so that they could get on with thier plots.

2. You'd be surprised. Some of the best roleplay I've had has been in places other than an inn. I find the most boring to be in an inn. Different groups require different locations to privately discuss their goals, well.. privately. Again, it's not unique and I never said it was, it's just a good idea, and something not all MUD's provide for their players, nor do they neccesarily provide support for organisations.

3. You make a good point here. I think the important thing is to make sure that your actions are realistic for the setting if you are in a position of power in the game, so again we come back to neccesary limits that some players might well get annoyed at the staff about. As far as rebuilding an entire area goes, I'd be willing to rebuild it slowly over time and probably only partially if it was something the size of a forest. Realistic time constraints would prevent a character changing the world overnight, because that wouldn't be possible in the real world so why should it be in a game?

4. It wouldn't be mandatory to have a 'roled' character. The setup system I have at the moment is extremely brief, aside from the time that I'd expect a new player to devote to reading the rules of the game and files about the setting (which again aren't overly long-winded, just the basics.) Roles could be requested on a forums by me, so instead of approaching any particular player and asking them, they can apply for the roles, stating how they think they'd play them etc, and I could pick who I think would be the best candidate.

5. Combat system should be simple and straightforward to use, I agree. Players can roleplay and still off another character for a stupid reason that furthers a plot in no way whatsoever. Some person insults someone, so another guy comes along, gives a 3 line emote of stabbing them in the gut and that's it. More often than not this kind of thing just kills a plot before it gets really interesting, as if it was done in private as well, nobody knows or will ever know who did it. I too dislike death that isn't permanent, exactly for the reason you stated - it becomes a trivial thing.

6. I see what you mean here. I disliked it when the staff on RPI's I've played have just changed something without even doing any roleplay (actually involving other characters) to support it themselves. Oh there's been a rebellion, now the kingdom is ruled by another race. Enjoy! ...Nah. I think the important thing is that there should be roleplay leading up to the change and that it should be believable (and if it's been roleplayed through, it will be believable. However, I was referring less to staff changing things themselves and more to inserting roled characters that already have existing conflicts into the world and keeping a balance of good and bad characters by defining these roles as good or bad when they are accepted, so that you don't end up with all shady people or all saintly people in the world as that gets dull very quickly. I say good and bad, but it could also just be people with different points of view to other people.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote