View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #16
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
And since some of mudnux's diatribe is obviously directed to me, I'll chime in AGAIN..and reiterate AGAIN...

I will not be giving *financial* aid to organizations. You do acknowledge, don't you, that there are DOZENS of other ways to help? In fact I -have- been helping in other ways, since before the storm even hit. That people have chosen to ignore this and focus on my wallet instead of my deeds is not my problem.

I posted here - created this very thread - as an attempt to help BEFORE the disaster struck. Because I'm just Joe Citizen living way up in the northeast corner of the country, without friends in high places, I thought maybe *someone* here might know someone in FEMA or in the armed forces or in New Orleans...

who could tell the powers that be, that the small craft needed to be saved BEFORE they couldn't be saved. Obviously no one here knows anyone with that kind of influence (or maybe someone does, but didn't think it was important enough to act on it), because just as I feared, they didn't have enough boats that were shallow-bottomed enough to get through the muck to rescue people. They could have - easily. But they didn't. Don't say I didn't try. I just lack the resources and posted in forums I frequent in the hopes that someone WITH the resources was listening.

I sent an e-mail to CNN with a suggestion - about getting the waterline to drop dramatically by placing strategic breaks in the levee in OTHER parts of the river. Turns out they were planning to do that, but they wanted to block off the first breaks first.

I don't see the logic in that, but hey - I'm not an engineer. Obviously my idea was good though, since the engineers and people who know more about this kind of thing than I do also thought of it (just in the opposite order of what I suggested).

I went to an IRC channel where storm survivors and friends and family and watchers have been hanging out, to let them know that one of the New Orleans residents was safe and sound and passed through my state on his way to Texas.

I went to the supermarket to suggest a coupon promotion where people who wanted to, could give up the value of the coupons they use for their groceries each visit, charge it back to the customer, and use the money "not saved" in a check from the store on behalf of its customers to the red cross. A lot of people don't see the benefit of dropping 2 bucks in a collection box. But they wouldn't think twice about giving up the same 2 bucks that they would've saved on coupons at the checkout.

I'll be getting in touch with my state's government on Monday to urge them to look into bringing bio-fuels into our state, now that bio-fuels are on par (and in some cases even less expensive) than heating oil at its current rate. It is currently available in 5 states in this region, but not here. Tax incentives to growers of soy and corn, and to heating oil companies could make enormous strides in reducing our state's reliance on petroleum-based heating oil, allowing more of it to be available for refineries (who turn it into gasoline), thus contributing to the overall reduction of cost at the pump.

What have you been doing, hmm mudnux? Or are you far enough removed from the situation over there in Australia that you only felt the need to blast people who are closer to the situation?
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote