View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
I think that might be what I'm trying to get at. Are Races and classes simply being developed for the purpose of the gameworld? Simple change of features, walking messages, available skills, added or subtracted stats or are they more unique then that? Does being a Dwarf give the character an ability that actually makes them a dwarf?

I want to draw a parallel between MUDs and Tabletops on this subject, but I'm not sure if it is completely justifiable. Take for instance D&D. The difference between playing a Human and an Elf, are a couple of changes in stats, higher dex, lower con (If I recall), and the ability to sense hidden doors and being more immune to charm spells. The differences here are more superficial. And that's the reason that they balance so well against each other. This would be in my evaluation A gameworld focused change.

The Difference however between a Human and say a Shapeshifter, is much different. All of a sudden a whole new aspect of Gameplay is opened up to the player. The change isn't superficial.

It's the difference between playing a fighter and a mage. The gameplay between the two is drastically different. But the gameplay between a Mage and Cleric, or a Fighter and a Monk are not much different. They are gameworld changes.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote