Thread: Coder Cruelty
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 04:31 AM   #1
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I recently imped hunting mobs properly, many's the time I have been annoyed by people fleeing 2-3 rooms away from a mob and feeling (and sometimes being) safe..

I REALY enjoyed watching my wounded bandit hunt down and kill the guard (more wounded) who thought they could slowly and safely attack time and time again. Run back to your village shack and hide, cause he will find you

The lesson... don't leave easy to follow tracks anymore.

Admittedly a locked door still defeats a hunting mob, and anything that destroys/changes/hides tracks (horse, water, indoors, city...), but the tracking seemed more fair than the original algorithm, that always succeeded if there was a link between the mobs room and yours somewhere. One day the AI may quickly and simply handle the sudden loss/change in tracks, but for now, a scan on losing the trail to see if they are visible will have to do.

Somewhere deep inside there seems a hint of meglomania (and probably other problems as well) that dervives some joy from making the world more dangerous for our citizens

NOTE: this applies to virtual worlds, as an ex army-medic, I have NO desire to make the real world nastier than it is, so do not take this post out of context.
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote