View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #18
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
After seeing the response to my earlier post, I thought I would clarify one thing. I was asking in the context where a license agreement did not define what credit was. The DIKU license seems pretty clear about what it considers valid credit. and I'm not questioning that.

In the case of Medievia, they claim the license no longer applies. Others claim that they should still credit the DIKU team regardless of the state of the license. My question was, barring any license requirement what is fair credit to give to a source environment. If credit was placed on the website, but not in the game, would it be sufficient or must it also exist in the game in some form?

The other issue was that if I claim to have created a NEW code base, but I once worked on another code base, and someone then claims to all they can that I stole code from the original code, should I be in anyway obligated to present my code for audit? What steps could a developer take to protect themselves from abuse later?

Why should I have to?

That by itself does not create a clean room environment. If someone has the old set of source up in one window and a blank text editor open in the other and simply reads the original source and re-types it into the editor window with new formatting, structure and variables, but keeps the same algorithms aren't they still a derivative? I don't think simply saying a developer started with an empty file would be very convincing. What would be convincing?

Sombalance