View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
Amara

Amara is on a distinguished road
My all time favorite character is probably the one whose name I stole for this board.  She was/is a character in a Farscape game--  a Banik mystic who grew up in a library after being separated from her escaping parents.  I think that I got just the right combination of inncocence and impulsiveness.  She was gung-ho about everything, was convinced she knew right from wrong absolutely, and had complete confidence in herself.  

Notice I said had--  she's had some serious growing up since I created her, and that's the part that's fun for me.  She understands there are shades of grey now, and that she doesn't know nearly enough to be so confident in her rightness all the time.  But she still has the tendency to leap before she looks, act from her heart rather than her head, and always be in the thick of things.  

She's also one of the longest running characters I've ever had, and being able to slip into her character is like being able to slip into your favorite slippers after wearing sensible shoes all day.  I have two other characters that are coming to be like that, both of them on OtherSpace:  Katriel and Jordan.  

The other characters I've enjoyed playing with all tend to have one thing in common:  great banter.  I think because bantering requires give and take from both sides, and a level of attentiveness that shows in whatever else they do.  So it isn't just that I like bantering--  I do--  but it demonstrates some serious skills.  People who pay attention, and are willing to sometimes be the focus of a scene, and sometimes the supporting role, are just plain fun to play with.

Now that I've written a book, I think I'll go wander off and see about playing one of those characters with someone who does great banter...

Amara
AKA Katriel, Jordan, Willow, Summer, Sam, Allesande, Edwina, Evangaline, Jody...
Amara is offline   Reply With Quote