View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: The problem with muds Aka Hello

You wrote a large post and I'll try to respond briefly to your questions and comments. Like some others here, I believe you should try New Worlds. It is a highly indepth roleplaying environment with a large playerbase, superb guilds, unique races, dangerous scenarious, invasions, marketing, religion, politics, and two very different areas to start in (Kingdom-Which is relatively organized and Southland-Which is very dangerous and harsh). There is resurrected death and permadeath depending on the situation which gives more depth to roleplay.

Now on to your answers.

This is an fiercely argued question on TMS, but my interpretation is this in the game functionality not the terms. Both rpe and rpi are enforced roleplay. Proponants of RPI maintain it is a standard of functionality for their specific games:. no levels, no guilds, permadeath, no ooc channels, etc. These are specific functions that some argue make the game more intense and others argue it makes the game more unplayable. Regardless, the quality of roleplay you find depends entirely up to you and the games you like.

I agree with alot of what you say. In NWA we have many "channels" for player communication both IC and OOC. All of these channels can be blocked or unblocked as needed. For new players there is a question channel that is completely ooc. This is maintained by staff members specifically there to assist new players. Many players tune out these channels once they have a pure understanding of the game to become more immersed in the game.

NWA has a new players manual on the website that walks you through starting in the Kingdom and what to do. There are also online help files for this purpose. For the hard core roleplayer, NWA has the option of starting in the south where you receive no help at all which is only recommended for the advanced mudder/roleplayer or veterans of the game.

We lock our forums for a very simple reason. We have over 500 active players with over 100 playing constantly. Discussions on our forums are indepth to game play and over the years we've found this is detrimental to brand new players.

I for one appreciate your ideas and information and hope you try out NWA and perhaps even give more of your new MUD'er insight to our staff.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote