View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
There is also something written in TCL/TK, which you can get Windows versions of, callled Trebuchet. It appears it may give Mushclient and others a run for there money *and* it has the advantage that plugins are loaded in as library modules in TCL, just like the program itself, while others use seperate, and not always common, at least outside the world of mud clients, script systems. I have no idea what the extent of its current features are, but given how user build stuff integrates and the versitility that provides, it could likely do things that even Mushclient and zMud would have some difficulties with.

As for free vs. pay. You still generally get what you pay for. Gmud and other free ones are 'not' designed to support many newer protocols and features. Or to put it another way, if muds are ever going to use any of those things, clients will have to support them. Netscape didn't become important because someone made a new client, the became important because people actually used the new features it supported, which mosaic didn't. By always going back to, "I want the free one, which doesn't do everything.", we are tieing the hands of people that might otherwise consider adding things to their mud, if not for the excuse, "But, while that would be interesting, the majority of clients don't support it." I am all for free too, but I want 'function' along with 'free', when possible. But the fact is, for the most part, the two don't co-exist with mud clients.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote