View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 02:31 AM   #77
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Maybe the way every other popular game earned their players? Create a good mud, rely on word of mouth, advertise, etc.

Is TMS supposed to be some kind of communist enterprise where popular games are supposed to supply less popular games with access to their players, prominent listings, etc?

Furthermore, it is very easy for a player to find less popular, smaller, or newer muds. You select one of the check boxes for 21-40, 41-60, a specific genre, or whatever. One click and there you go.

What is mute about it?

Do you mean MOOT?

How is that relevant? Again I ask you, are you wanting some kind of communist system where you take away from popular games to help less popular ones, not for any good reason, but just because the popular ones have more players?

That is a terrible idea. Furthermore, it will be killing the goose that lays the golden egg, because small games are getting otherwise unattainable publicity from being listed here. Why exactly should popular games bother risking their players by sending them here to vote, if the little muds get unfair placement? Then it becomes a valueless situation, and most of the traffic to the site dies. How does that help these little muds? Then they get ZERO new players, and have NO way of getting ANY attention because nobody sends traffic to the site.

They don't have the money to buy ads, and now they killed the traffic on TMS out of sheer jealousy.

Please reflect on the example of WoW. If we could get every graphical MMO on the TMS list, totally slaughtering us all in votes and pushing everyone down 5-10 notches, that would be one of the greatest boon to text muds since the first University let some creative gamers have a little computer space. Think of all those MILLIONS of gamers learning about text muds and every now and then saying "why don't I try one of these out?"

If that's too difficult, here's an even better example: MUD X (a game ranked higher than Threshold. that I won't name so I don't want to risk any kind of lame MUD v. MUD war). Am I happy to have Threshold down a notch because MUD X started pushing their players to vote recently?

I'm PSYCHED!!!!!

Why? Because we are getting tons of new players from MUD X. My referral logs are filled with people who found us while voting for MUD X. Most of them are people who like MUD X, but want a more IC/RP environment. I have no idea if they also quit MUD X, but that really doesn't matter to me.

So Threshold might be one notch lower in rankings, but the benefit is far superior because we are getting more players as a result of the increased traffic.

That's the beauty of TRAFFIC and EYEBALLS. That's what you want if you are trying to grow your mud, your business, whatever. You want your name somewhere where there is a CHANCE some people will see you and then give you a shot.

You (and others with the same type of ideas) are only shooting yourself in the foot by proposing changes that would ultimately reduce traffic, or run off the games that provide the traffic.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote