View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #81
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Re: Things that make you NOT play a MUD

The main thing I am looking for on a MUD is an RP enforced environment. It is especially frustrating for me when a game lists itself as being RP Mandatory or Enforced and I don't see any evidence of roleplaying in early game play.

I admit to not giving most MUDs a lot of my time initially unless they come with very high recommendations from people I trust. For this reason I don't like games that have newbie areas that isolate me from the bulk of the players right away or force me to go through a long tutorial before I start. I also don't like being forced to read a ton of documentation before I start a game.

If a game has some sort of pre-approval system of either names or character concepts and they don't approve very quickly (within an hour) then it is unlikely I will come back to check out the MUD. If I'm in the mood to try out a new MUD I typically want to do so immediately.

I also like seeing some sort of OOC newbie help system or channel. I'll take time to go through documentation to figure things out, but if I can't find it in my searching then I like having help readily available.

With all this being said, if I jump right into a MUD and like what I see then I am the type of player that will spend hours reading all the back documents, rules, and so on. I will also then spend a lot of time researching the game world and coming up with a detailed history and character concept.

There are a lot of other things that I prefer from MUDs and could go into that list here, but since I have tried many MUDs and they often lose me within the first hours of game play I have focused on the reasons above.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote