View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #91
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Things that make you NOT play a MUD

It's been a commercial site that runs ads longer than you (or I) have been using it.

You're setting up a false dichotomy there insofar as you're implying that free and fun are linked. They are not. I have an awesome time skiing, for instance, and it's certainly not free. Running, on the other hand, costs me no money but I dislike it intensely.

As far as the relationship between how something started and how it is now, I for one am very glad that people are able to unleash their creativity and create something new, which you appear opposed to. If you want something to be exactly like the first instance of it, why wouldn't you be looking only to play/talk about MUD 1? All other MUDs contain different features and are thus not what MUDs originally were. MUD 1 was cool for the time, but by today's standards it is a very, very limited/basic MUD. Thank goodness others took that seed of an idea and expanded upon it, giving us the diverse range of options we have in MUDs today, from the humblest DIKU clone with two players to the WoWs and Runescapes of the world with their millions of players.

It's also worth pointing out that the inventor of MUDs (Dr. Richard Bartle) ran a commercial MUD and that he himself has no problem with commercialization of MUDs.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote