Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Rawcliffe

Rawcliffe is on a distinguished road
I guess I just had a misconception of the purpose of this board then.  When I discovered it I thought it to be an open forum for MUDs in general.  A place to see different games available, learn some basics, give designers a place to change it up and share thoughts and experiences.  Instead, there seems to be more of Im better than you or I can believe your Mud does that.....

In my opinion, people are not idiots.  If they dont want to pay for a game, they wont.  At least in the case of my game its no big secret that its P2P.  I wouldnt care how it got signfied that its P2P.  If somebody wants to play a free game, I dont think it makes a difference if BIG (which my game is not all that big) games are listed as #1 because they wont play them and continue down the list to the games that got bumped down a few notches.  As for the games that are listed  in 81-100 range, if they truly care to utilize the ranking system to stay on the boards for advertizing reasons it only takes 2 daily voters to achieve a <50 ranking.

On a side note, this battle seems to heat up so much sometimes I believe many of those in the arguments are causing more damage to their ability to recruit new players through their words of hate that they lose to being a rank below a P2P game.

In short, I believe players will just as quickly join a free game with our without P2Ps being ranked among them if that is what they are looking for.  If paying for a game doesnt matter to a player then the the ranking system wouldnt hinge on this matter anyway.

I will not post again on this topic, but I will read your thoughts and concerns.  I just wanted what others though and to give my own opinion without trying to start a big argument on the whole thing.  This a great tool for Mud players for many reasons other than the ranking system.

And I rest my conversation on this topic.

A player,
Jerry
Rawcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote