View Single Post
Old 10-25-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
AardWolfe

AardWolfe is on a distinguished road
I have never had any problem with the idea of Imms monitoring players on the MUD, nor have I had any problems with Imms who have monitored me on a MUD.

Players can be a devious bunch, and without some method of tracking IPs and/or snoop, there's no end to the shenanigans they can get up to, especially if they know the MUD in question has a 'no snoop' policy. That doesn't mean that I think snooping should be arbitrary; If the Imm in question has reason to suspect the player is breaking one or more of the MUD's rules, I see no problem with that player being monitored. Indeed, in cases of vindictive finger-pointing by other players, snooping someone can in fact vindicate them.

Every MUD I've ever seen has a set of policies regarding this. If you're somewhere where you feel the policies don't fit your own personal views of privacy or trust, why go there? Likewise, if you feel the people running the place are untrustworthy, why are you there?

I honestly can't think of anything I've ever said or done on a MUD which would be worth snooping, having said that. I'm more likely to get banned for boring an Imm to death than doing anything controversial ;)
AardWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote