View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 03:40 PM   #24
Darrik

Darrik is on a distinguished road
Although there have been many discussions on the ethics of snooping in the past, mostly on mudconnector, the more moderate opinion was that as long as a player expects to be snooped at any time, then they can choose or not choose to play there, and ethics is followed. I am not opening up a debate on this issue, as this is the legal forum, not ethics.

Also, the administrative community does not 'mostly' believe that the only rights players have is to their 'close' button, there have been arguments on this as well, and there is a large difference on opinion. A Player's Bill of Rights has been proposed on numerous occasions. But that is another issue as well.

I make it a very obvious fact that I snoop anyone who plays my game on a random or semi-random basis, mostly because I compliment/criticize their RP on the ooc channel to point out good/bad things to other players, and make it obvious I got this information from snooping. If I had seen this type of conversation occurring, I would have done exactly as suggested... warned and then banned if the activity did not stop. If these players were indeed warned, then the reviewer on Gateway did an excellent job of skating around what he did not wish to be known. The best suggestion I can give is to post that the player was planning illegal ( make it clear that it was in real life ) activities on the mud and was banned for it. You do not have to elaborate unless the contraversy continues.

Of course, I am sure most of your players now know the reason since at least one or two have probably read this board and told the rest, but if not, then you could point out the reason at a later time if it becomes necessary.

Darrik Vequir
Darrik is offline   Reply With Quote