View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Atyreus

Home MUD: The Dreaming City
Atyreus is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a codebase

Ugh... yeah, the configure script sometimes needs to be kicked around a little. IIRC, while using one flavor of Linux (Slackware maybe?) I had to edit the script so that it would just use gdbm instead of trying to decide on its own what particular dbm was available. Also, I believe there is a typo in the script that will keep it from properly determining if ndbm is available. I'm at work at the moment though, and don't have a copy of the script available to look at.

As to why more people don't use ColdC, that is something that really baffles me (though I suppose a tetchy configure script might not exactly endear it to some potential users). It has a non-restrictive license, it's extremely stable, and it's relatively easy to learn even given the dearth of documentation. As with LPC, it allows you to make modifications to your game on the fly, but has the added advantage that you don't need to reload objects in order for the modifications to take place. The ColdC language is ideal for the development of text based games, but it makes almost no assumptions about the sort of game you wish to develop, giving you about as much flexibility as you can have without coding a game from scratch.

All that said, there seems to be only about four or five muds (including Skotos' The Eternal City) that use it. Go figure.
Atyreus is offline   Reply With Quote