View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #51
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
I couldn't agree more that the code in most "role-playing enforced" MUDs is inadequate to the job.  That's one reason I play what are often now refered to as "role-playing-intensive" or RPI MUDs.  These MUDs, a short list to be sure, are designed around creating a role-playing world, not using existing MUD code and requiring RP.

To date, I've only run across a very short list of MUDs which qualify for this label:  Armageddon, Harshlands, Shadows of Isildur, Forever's End (no longer running), Forever Ends (status unknown), Chronicles of Ritnarium (no longer running), Shadows and Mist (not open yet), and a couple others.

These MUDs were designed for RP, not for points-killing, and their code reflects that.  You don't see things like experience points and levels.  They're not meant to be seen because those are elements of a game that are not relevant to RPing a role.

Now, everyone likes to see progress.  But you don't need levels or experience points to see progress.  For example, I was trying to separate egg whites the other day (I'm a horrible cook) and I successfully did so with 78% of them (number of times I successfully got an egg white into a frying pan without any yolk).  The last time I tried, I was only 67% successful.  The time before, about 50% successful.  That's progress.  The same thing can be done with an RP game.  No exact numbers showed on a screen need be.  Instead, if a player wants to know that they're getting better, they need to start thinking (*gasp*  THINK?) about how they've progressed over time rather than simply look and see hard evidence of it in the form of a number (and if one wants, as I did above, one can generate numbers if they stop and think about their actions and successes).

And even failure is a good thing on a MUD.  Not many people do it, but why not RP a failure at life, someone that isn't good at things:  someone who's ugly and untalented instead of good-looking, powerful, and skilled at everything?  In real life, people who are inept or complete idiots can survive and even prosper.

And that was the purpose of my original post.  To point out that RP-accepted and RP-encouraged MUDs don't really cater to an environment in which one can RP because the element of success is intrinsically linked to them through their code.

Anyway, from some of the comments I've seen in response, I can see that some of you understand and even agree with what I said.  And like I noted in my original post, when you remove personal barriers and honestly think about it, "RP-accepted" and "RP-encouraged" really aren't geared toward RP.  It's a square peg and a round hole.  Sure, you can sometimes fit the two together and noone says you can't have good RP in such an environment, but don't be surprised if you have problems as well.

And nothing's wrong with H&S if that's your cup of tea.  But combining H&S and RP can cause conflicts between the two concepts.  That's why, while I was still playing H&S, I used to play two MUDs.

Well, I'm tired of typing.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote