View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #13
Centauri

Centauri is on a distinguished road
Re: How long do you build?

In Fluxworld (As I suppose in others) Rule #1 is building is never done! Its rather like asking when an artist is done with a painting, and its when they are tired of working on it.

Some areas start as a concept of one holder room for years, until some big areas of 50+ rooms can be fleshed out, and others vary.

Its not so much just an "area" as that is more the concept of a concept or vision of an area, but also all the supporting code for special objects which help support the interesting ideas contained in the concept area. Perhaps that place needs some new objects which help it along that dont exist currently. Depends on the existing richness and diversity of the base tools of that MUD.

I've been building technically since the mid 1980s, in Citadel, well before I discovered a true multi-user MUD, but the concepts were the same, even back then. Some areas are fairly small, say 10 rooms, and contain a concept, an inn, a bar on an old cobblestone road, etc. Others are more involved, a small town, on some faraway planet or moon, some of these linked by some common fast mode of travel.

Building is a creative art to me, and if I waited until it was "finished" to let anyone see it or experience it, no one would ever see whats been done. Consider it a living work in progress.
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote