View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #165

Hey well there's always mud-dev.

Here's a serious professional sample of serious professionals discussing something...

"In order for any profession to mature, a profession-specific nomenclature has to develop that professionals can use to talk about profession-related topics intelligently and with sufficient specificity. For instance, if somebody says "mob" in the context of our profession, I know exactly what they're talking about, even though someone from outside our profession might be thinking "pitch forks and torches." If we haven't decided on a name for the things that our profession works on (something that would seem to be a fundamental building block for any such nomenclature), then it seems to me that further discussion. is warranted to at least come to some general consensus."

"I use the term "multi-user virtual world" IF the world is a prominent aspect of the system. I am not objecting to the term
"virtual worlds", after all I did argue for it while you still wanted some other term. I am objecting to over-extending it. There are other terms too, of course..."

"I would not have guessed the discussion of the effect of newbies would migrate into a debate on definitive minutiae and use of the term "virtual world." Without a more formal taxonomy and phylogeny of "virtual worlds" within a stronger committee-based context (ie. authorative society), the discussion can wander far, far away."

"Personally, I tend toward "virtual world" when pressed. I'd like to find something better -- "virtual" equates to "hopeful" or even
"nebulous" and "world" has grandiose connotations. Not good things when talking to skeptical investors, publishers, or potential partner/customers who don't know a mob from a noob."

Serious and professional. Did I say professional? You can watch professionals argue over the definition of MUD just like 14 year old n00bies for only the price of an email. No extra charge for the 11-letter professional sounding words. Serious professional high signal stuff with nary a mention of women's breasts and no farting. Well not a whole lot of fun either.

Exerpted and names ellided to avoid embarassing the professionals.