View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: What defines a "MUD" ?

Was going to say more or less that. I currently spend most of my time in an area in Second Life called CoLA (City of Lost Angels). We are talking 48x48 city blocks of sims (not including the connected 4-5 in the Damnation chain), in which 99% of the stuff that goes on is basically a graphical MUSH, since running scripts to handle "mobs" isn't practical with the current server lag, but the area is also using CCS (Community Combat System), which has levels, stats, skills, and weapons made to do differing damage and types of damage. Last night we had a FPS firefight with a giant spider drone, followed by a damn level 50 zombie. We managed to kill the drone, but the guy running the zombie NPC crashed in the middle of the fight. lol So.. Its also not a MMOG, but operates as a true MMORPG (out of basic necessity, if nothing else). So, MUD too, as well as MUSH?

The lines are blurry to the point of absurdity, and you would, in the case of SL, have to classify every "chain" of sims as either MUSH, MUD, or... what ever the heck everything that isn't used as either of those would be on there. Worse, you would have to classify by combat system, DCS, CCS, the stolen copy of CCS called WARPS, some new attempt to make warps look legit, called FEAR, Midian's system, Spellfire, and probably 4-5 others I don't know about, not including the completely lame "Linden Damage" system. And.. Just CCS by itself has something like 150 sims, in probably 80+ or more themed "chains". You would have to count them all as different "games". Imagine adding all the other combat systems to that list, and all the sims/chains they have too...

Someone would need to make an entire separate site just to keep track of them all.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote