View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #53
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: What turns people from RP?

There's another group of people who play solo computer RPGs who feel that roleplaying is simply building a character even if it is built by the computer and a series of action by the player. This includes games like Dungeon Siege, Morrowind, and Oblivion! I've had that argument before, and honestly, I can't say that I couldn't see his point of view.

I definitely agree that it's defined in a lot of different ways by many different personalities.

It might be worse with the H&S guys, honestly, though we don't see it much here. This usually occurs on the individual game's forums. The elitism is pretty bad between RP communities with one group thinking they are far superior to another group, but really, that's only in their own mind or community. The H&S arguments are way worse because they involve rallying admins to nerf specific classes or groups of people, and when code is involved, it affects the game in the a real way. It doesn't really affect me to any great extent if someone thinks their RP is far superior to mine. There's plenty of other people who are willing to play with me and like it! It affects me a great deal if my healer is now 25% less effective because a group my team beat last week cried for a nerf.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote