View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #59
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Hmmmm...Thongh I had poisted before this..

Oh well..

Where I used to play for nearly a decade until very recently (and all of you know the place) had this problem. What occured was the StoryPlotters would create the situration, and just let it go at that until enough time was spent meandering around doing this and that between large gaps of doing nothing until finally an end was decided. Sloppy, terribly sloppy.
If you are going to set up a plot, any plot, besides having a start it must also have a clearly defined middle and end. The middle can consist of steps consisting of discovering nessicarry information that the players must go through to reach the end, thus the plot builds up to its climax at a steady evenly paced rate instead of meandering all over the place like a cow in a field. So people may like meandering, but for me it must have a purpose that adds to the plot--as did many other players who simply left for greener and more fullfilling pastures.

Eliteism is another spoiler, where players with serious ego problems dominate the plot simply because they feel they must reguardless of weither or not it wrecks the play of others who are trying to get into the plot. They consider their characters to be 'heroic' and therefore must 'lead' in all siturations, unfortunately this stifles the growth of other players leading to stagnation of the game and players leaving for greener pastures.
There were jerks like that at that other game. They couldn't be removed because they had friends on staff that protected them from everything, and were so arrogant they wouldn't step asside even for the Game's continued exsistance.

And finally there was the useage of OOC information in a very un-IC maner against other players, especially by one who's still there playing her character. Despite complaints logged by me, all (I really don't know if it's legal to name names here, espcially character names. So I'm leaving the name out untill I get permission from the Board Mod here to do so) recieved was a simple talking to and most likely it was done in private. While in the Game, the character recived another title..

Favored Players...It's what happens when you draw your game's staff from the player base.
What makes it sad, is that it was sunch an interesting place too.

Oh well, onward and upward.

Darren Brimhall

Last edited by Darren Brimhall : 10-18-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote