View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 01:37 AM   #58
JilesDM

JilesDM is on a distinguished road
Re: Stilton

Straw man. I did not state that it was justified, only the reasons that it does not constitute a war of aggression. The US had strong political sympathies with Cuba, and armed conflict had been taking place between Cuban revolutionaries and Spain, therefore the conflict was already in progress. The explosion of the Maine, which was in port to ensure the protection of US citizens in Cuba, is what drew the US into the war. As Tavish noted, whether or not Spain actually was responsible for the incident is still a matter of scholarly debate. In either case, the US could not have waged a war of aggression, as aggressions had already been ongoing for some time when the US began its involvement.

Another straw man, and grossly inaccurate to boot. The Philippines, previously a Spanish territory, was ceded to the United States as a result of the treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish American War. Again, not a war of aggression.

[snip off-topic rambling].

In the future, I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from attempting to put words into my mouth. I stated that, prior to Iraq, the US had never waged a war of aggression. Period. Objections that past US military actions were not justified are irrelevant with respect to debating the truth of that statement.
JilesDM is offline   Reply With Quote