View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'm posting this in several forums that I contribute to, in the hopes that someone can get the word out to FEMA or the Army Corps of Engineers, or someone in New Orleans government.

Evacuation is already underway, and my heart goes out to anyone who has friends and family living in New Orleans. It's gonna be a mess, and the Mayor already accepts that there will be some deaths.

I had this thought, and I haven't seen it on the National Weather bureau site, or weather.com, or the news station websites, or the weather channel.

New Orleans is expected to be underwater by the time this is over - since it's already below sea level and requires levees to keep the water out. In addition, many people who live there don't have transportation out, and hotels are already booked solid 150 miles north. They're considering using the Astrodome to shelter stranded residents and visitors.

Here's the thought: Small watercraft - rowboats, 4-passenger motorboats, kyaks, canoes, big rafts (not the rubber tube things - I mean real rafts)...

Many of these crafts can be strapped on top of some of the bigger cars and SUVs and small trucks. Others can be hitched on SUVs and vans.

They need to get these smaller boats OUT of the water at the shoreline, and upriver to the east around 70 miles or so. Before the storm hits. That way, when it's time for rescue missions, they'll have boats to bring rescuers down, with necessary minimal first aid and medical supplies. And they can get people stranded out of New Orleans via those same boats - because the latest news is that all those streets are gonna be the Mississippi's newest tributaries and creeks after this is all over.

On an announcement down in NO, they said "This is not a test. This is the real deal. Board up your homes...." This is serious ****. And in all of what I've been reading and watching, I haven't heard a single mention of the city government commandeering small watercraft and getting them on land so they can be used for rescue operations.

If anyone knows anyone in the NO government, or FEMA - maybe you could call them and suggest it. During a federal emergency, the government retains the right to commandeer privately owned vehicles as needed. Unfortunately, cars and trucks aren't going to be much help during the first hours after the storm subsides, since the city is expected to be under 25 feet of water. But boats WILL be of much help - ONLY if they are removed from the water and set on land - land which will likely be new tributaries once this mess is over and the cleanup begins.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote