View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
I also agree with the idea of PK restrictions. I myself run a full-pk Mud, where the only interactions players have is usually in order to kill eachother, and if it's not, it involves trying to kill someone else. Still, under certain conditions, players have a pk protection.

Newbies, for example, have full protection for the first 5 hours of play.
Players who somehow lost their link, unless they obviously did it on purpose, are protected.
And it is also discouraged to attack players multiple times in a certain timeframe by having the players not gain score for it.

However, the newbie and linkdead protections aren't coded. Why? Well it's simple - abuse. People would see coded protection as an opportunity to create new characters for the purpose of spying or annoying people, and be invincible. Or go linkdead the moment they are attacked. That's why these rules remain as rules and not coded protections.

So in summary, my opinion is that PK rules should be rules, unless they are extremely firm and un-abusable, in which case they can be coded... but from my experience with people - they always find a way to abuse things, so let a human being decide.
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote