View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Vatiken

Re: Why I Left Your MUD- A Newbie's Persepctive

I'm assuming "you" is "me", as that sounds "vaguely" like the conversation we had when I popped onto your MUD the other night. Although I'd think "Constructive Criticism" was more what I was trying to get across and not "Bashing your MUD" as you put it. And since this thread is "Why I Left Your MUD", and you previously started a thread questioning why players would only stay for a few seconds on your MUD, I figure I should add to Sasca's list, with special attention towards your MUD, and as to why I left.

I should mention that these apply to all MUDs, not just Clover's. Also, as a player, I have no real preference in genre or theme of a MUD. Sometimes it's fun to RP, sometimes it's fun to hack'n'slash. What I do prefer is quality over quantity.Honestly, Clover, you have a good idea for a MUD however you need to realize there is a difference between a "New MUD" and "downloading a codebase, paying the $5 to host it, and adding a name underneath the greetings screen." IMO you need to stop wasting time advertising your MUD, and spend that time working on the project. Every new player that sees your advertisement and logs into your MUD to see a stock codebase with some poorly designed rooms, is just going to leave and associate your MUD with "just another stock MUD." By advertising before your MUD is ready, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. Look, there are only a certain amount of players to go around, so take a look at a few of the MUDs that have advertised on the Promo board here. Check out the amount of work that has already gone into some these MUDs, like Primordiax, Netrunners and Star Wars: Galactic Insights. Compare it to what you've accomplished so far, and ask yourself if you were a player where would you want to play?

I'm really not trying to slag you, I'm just trying to be honest with you, even if it comes across as harsh. You might want to check out
tbaMUD.com offers a lot of resources that might enhance your world design quality, there are also some quality articles here at topmudsites.com.

I hope this comes across as more helpful then hurtful.

Last edited by Vatiken : 06-28-2010 at 01:44 AM.