Thread: MUD Features
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #17
danr62

danr62 is on a distinguished road
I agree that color is a big factor. I don't want it to be bland, and I don't want it to be overwhelming. Also I like what the_logos said about using color to present information. One color will be your room title, another the desc, another the exits, another for objects, players, channels...etc. Also try to keep with some of the more basic colors...since almost every client has a black background, use bright or light colors for text to contrast the bg. Don't use dark purple or something ugly like that that I have to strain my eyes to see!

Keep the display organized as well, and make it look natural. I don't want to see symbols in a room desc. In fact probably the only three places that a symbol (other than parentheses, which should not be used in descs) is in the prompt, in a text editor type of system, and on a ascii map/motd.

Also I want the interface, both the display and the syntax, to be organic. What I mean is that everything must work in a way that you forget your using a computer. That's why I hate MUSHes, they feel like a programming language, not a realm! For that reason, I would not like to see something like this:

"Unrecognizable command, try HELP COMMANDS"

although something similar would be acceptable during the intro but not later.

The most important thing is probably that you get me interested right away. As the_logos said, use the intro to get me into a story right away. If I enter a mud and see a sign that says "Mud school, go north to learn how to play" or something like that, I'm gone. I love IRE's introductions, especially Imperian's, which involves me more in the story of the realm itelf and provides a better thrill than the other IRE intros.

The best intro I've ever seen on a mud went something like this...I don't remember the name of the mud, but here we go. When I logged in, I was standing in the courtyard of a ruined castle. Then the scene shifted and the castle transformed into a battle that had taken place there. Ghosts and such started to materialize, and I was directed to enter the castle. As I explored the castle, certain rooms had scenes associated with them that showed how the battle unfoled, and even let me participate. At one point some damsel told me I would have to fight, but first I needed to gain some equipment, sword, shield, armor, or some such stuff. I then had to go looking for the stuff and perform simple quests to gain them, all of them helping me to learn the syntax. I also had a spirit guide that I was able to summon for advice, which basically acted as a reminder of what I'd already been told or gave me small hints. As I progressed through the castle and the battle continued to unfold, I found some rooms where I was able to do chargen type stuff as a part of the into. Changing my sex, race, class, and appearance by talking to some godlike beings or some such, and then had to leave the castle to enter the 'real world'

There was more to it than that, but it's been years. The gist of what I'm saying is that it was interesting and informative at the same time.

Another thing for me that's huge is the combat system. I love IRE's blow-by-blow system where nothing is automated. I HATE combat systems where you type "Kill [X]" and blows are exchanged automatically. That's why I've never been to get into any other mud that wasn't IRE or Simutronics (which is pay-per-play, so blah).

So i guess to recap everything I've said, don't overwhelm me, make everyhting feel as natural as possible, get me involved in a story from the getgo, and give me combat where I control every move I make.
danr62 is offline   Reply With Quote