Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Aermyn

Name: Eric
Home MUD: Savage Realm
Home MUD: Http://savagerealm.forumotion.com/
Aermyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Aermyn
Re: 2nd Great (greatest? worldwide?) Depression

I agree, and the only other thing I would add is, inadvertantly I.Q. does have a factor in it all, based on that quote. If people were smart enough and willing to put forth the effort to look into their policy-makers and political figures, then maybe they would see that they are the ones who do tend to have a big impact on the outcome of the economy.

However, the flip side is, we do "technically" know this, but because we are all (speaking of U.S. here) very biased to our own opinions, we tend to follow the candidate of our choice, solely on moral, ethical and religious views. I can see how this is important, especially ethically, however history (and the present) has shown us that smooth talking, good looking candidates may not always be the best choice when it comes to what they actually do or know how to do when fixing large economic problems.

How do you balance the two? If there is a great candidate that can probably fix a nation, has a great know-how and is very politically savvy, chances are he/she won't be elected because they are usually very strong in their politcal stance, and not willing to sway for the masses. Thus, the smooth talking candidate with a sweet tongue talks the nation into voting for them by telling the people what they want to hear.

(I know this parallels, to a point, the past U.S. Presidential election, but I was merely speaking with an objective view on what usually happens, not bash President Obama.)

And, btw, Idiocracy was a funny movie, and I hope it never happens! (But things are looking grim.)
Aermyn is offline   Reply With Quote