View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 10:04 PM   #10
Jenred

Jenred is on a distinguished road
MUD is a general term (at least to me). Its a text base game that has a heavy code presence, lots of coded items, rooms, etc. MUSH is another general term. Its usually light on code, rooms, and items, and alot of time people don't even use coded combat but rather emotes.

Then there are subclasses like RPI mud, H&S mud, Rp-encouraged, sex mud, etc. Each has various definitions and its really up to the person viewing to decide.

But for the most part, RPI muds have a very definitive look and feel to them. Putting such an emphasis on roleplaying as to require character applications to control the type of characters (usually to preserve the games environment, keep characters semi-permanent in their appearance, and prevent description silliness). There is usually few 'numbers' (like no damage numbers, no skill numbers, no levels, etc.).

Anyways, there is a big difference in my opinion between RP-encouraged/enforced/required muds and RPI muds like Harshlands, Armageddon, Fourlands, Southlands, SoI, etc. And I feel that wiki-pedia has done a good job expressing the common meaning of the different terms, at least from what I've heard from other players.
Jenred is offline   Reply With Quote