View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 06:40 AM   #10
Cougar Khan

Cougar Khan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar Khan
18 U.S.C. Sec. 4. - Misprision of felony

Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

Elements of the crime:

The subject:

1.  has knowledge of the commission of a felony,
     2.  conceals or does not report the crime, to the proper
             authorities.

Alistair brings up some good points in the document he links too. The main problem is, this area is new and case law changes on a daily basis. I do believe, without sounding like an alarmist, Admins can be held partially responsible for actions on their MUDs.

Besides the legal aspect of observing the crime, I believe there is a moral obligation to society. If an Admin knows a crime is being committed or about to be committed, he should report it to the proper authorities.  It is easy to look the other way and let nothing happen to the people, it is harder to make the actual report. As a good friend of mine said, on this topic, “Would you turn away and do nothing if a crime was happening in front of you?”

-C…
Cougar Khan is offline   Reply With Quote