View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for RP-focused MUD with as little combat as possible

I don't know Orrin. Saying what most people define as RPI is rebuffed to the extreme in this thread:

RPI is widely defined and arbitrary, so I think the poster here is well within the bounds of definition with their requirements.

Misao,

Thank you for trying NW-Ateraan. I can agree that while NW has many players that utilize standard emotes, many also engage in robust emoting as customized emotes, pmotes, omotes, rstatus, ostatus, and many other roleplay enhanced functionalities are there for this purpose. However, when you have 20 people in a tavern, speed and grace is of the essence and brevity is applauded. Slow, long roleplay is grand and found when players are in small groups, religious, political, entertainment, romantic, guild, or other events. I recall the other night NWA had fifty people in one room and players were asked to be still because of the sheer magnitude of spam created by even short emotes.

Not to get off track, I can recommend a few MUD's for you. I would not recommend Armeggedon as it is a very PK oriented game and death is second nature. As this is a permadeath game it can destroy good solid "story" roleplay that you seem to be after. Not to mention the emote system is mostly based on the following:

A short, stocky dwarf with curly hair and a scar on his chin and deep set dark brown eyes smiles at a thin athletic human girl with the long blond hair, trim legs and sparkling exotic hazel eyes who has a missing index finger on the left hand.

A long blond hair, trim legs and sparkling exotic hazel eyes who has a missing index finger on the left hand nods purposely at a short, stocky dwarf with curly hair and a scar on his chin and deep set dark brown eyes.

A short, stocky dwarf with curly hair and a scar on his chin and deep set dark brown eyes chuckles at a thin athletic human girl with the long blond hair, trim legs and sparkling exotic hazel eyes who has a missing index finger on the left hand.

After about twenty similar emotes you are practically praying for the simple: A dwarf waves at a human girl.

You might like Shadows of Isildur if you like skill based crafting and a Tolkien world. However, tedius crafting for hours to increase skill levels can be a downside.

You might want to try Materia Magica as it has a very robust crafting system and well developed world. The downside is that it lives in ASCII graphics that can be annoying at times.

Harshlands is also a choice. It has very fleshed out descriptions and roleplay is promoted. It is skillless and classless and the hugeness of the world vs. the playerbase might be an issue for you for interaction.

I wish you luck in your search!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote