View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
DemiGod

DemiGod is on a distinguished road
Re: From the Ground Up

I realize that I haven't given much information on the MUD. I am currently learning C so I will be beginning this on my own in any event, should others not decide to participate. Hopefully this will spark some interest:

Story - Short Version:

A second monumental space race propelled the citizens of Earth into a new Era of science and technology. This was brought on by the discovery of the Commision for Natural Elements [CNE], which stated that the axis of the Earth was accelerating exponentially into an oblique angle. Within the next 500 years, Earth would cease to offer a viable option for life.

This sparked the 2nd hisotrical space race. Within 200 years, Mars and the Earth's moon had become platforms for further research and development. Mars' atmosphere had been injected with microbial elements that had, over 100 years, transformed the planet into an acceptable habitat for human life. Transports were beginning to shuttle Earth's inhabitants to Mars.

In 410 P.D. [Post-Discovery], a brutal war had erupted on all the known human inhabited planets in the system, fueled by the claims of private sector espionage and New World Order mentality. Those fortunate enough to escape did so by embarking out in whatever vessels were available.

The S.S. Hope is the setting of this MUD. A lone settlement ship with minimal defenses that has propelled itself out into space with hopes of settling on a new world. It is now 1214 P.D. and no suitable planets have yet been dscovered. Scientists have worked for years trying to develop atmospheric injections to implant on new planets, so far with fruitless outcomes.

You are a member of this ship. The ship has facilities related to all fields, some of which are:

*Biological Sciences*

Plant Cultivation
Botany
Genetics
- Coding
- Cloning
Gene Manipulation
Anatomy
- Increases Aim
- Organ Extraction
- Surgery

*Chemistry*

Chemical Extraction
- Poison/Antidote
Element Recombination [synthesis of known elements]
Element Purification
Element Manipulation [creation of new elements]
Medication
Pill Enhancements

*Physics*

Energy Tools and Weapons
Propulsion Systems
Ballistics
- Long Range
- Short Range
- Explosives
Audio/Communication

*Computer Science*

Artificial Intelligence
Security
- Hacking
- Locksmithing
Onboard Computers

*Navigation*

Stellar Cartography
Astronology [the two sciences have been
combined]

--------------------------------------------
This is my personal pet coding project for the MUD:

SONIA - An artificial intelligence system that interacts with the players and allows them to use voice [not real voice] commands to initiate ship actions:

Initiate SONIA:

Input: "SONIA, …"
A completely voice-activated system.

Code will initialize SONIA when it reads this text and search the remaining string for keywords that will perform actions.

Such as "SONIA, arm weapon system"

"weapon" would be enough to initialize the system but this allows players to RP with their speech or keep it quick and simple in a clinch.

Information will be presented in sentence form as though the computer was speaking to the player.

Possible Uses:

- Recalling information about elements, items, etc from the computer database.
- Performing actions that correspond with ship/shuttle automated options.
- Lock/Unlock Doors
- Food and Beverages
- Turn On/Off Lights

There is a lot more, and not only dealing with science. I have races, holodeck systems, weapons, classes, development trees, etc. I'd rather share them once I'm confident in someone's interest.
DemiGod is offline   Reply With Quote