View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 04:10 AM   #3
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae
We tend to have the same problem on the mud where I play and imm.. or at least I think so... I'm not really much of a pker, and I prefer roleplay over pkilling, so I may have a different view of things. But I do notice that a lot of the pkers tend to be more hack-and-slash types. And, like you said, there are some who try to come up with roleplay reasons behind their killing, but it just ends up to be a spur of the moment excuse, which comes after they ruthlessly mash someone into tiny bits.

"I had a roleplay reason. I am friends with so-and-so, and he doesn't like that guy."

or:
"He is in a different clan, and I am a nasty ogre."

or:
"I could have had a rp reason."
"But you didn't."
"But I could have."

And yes, the real reasons tend to be ooc ones. Such as killing someone because they have a rare piece of equipment, or taking ic actions ooc, and vice versa. Rarely do I see anyone rping out their pk fights (though a few have done excellent jobs of it) and many times when the H&Sers try to, it just ends up being one big emote war, which no one wants to lose. I.e.: "I dodge every attack you make, but my first strike instantly chops off your head!"

And yet, the H&Sers who play here have become attached to the game, and would not readily leave simply because it becomes more "roleplay-oriented". I've debated making attempts at converting these powergamers into more of a rp style, but when one is used to playing the game a certain way, it can be difficult. And if we suddenly say that the game is roleplay-mandatory, would the players adhere to that?

So, I suppose my question is, what would be an easy way to help slowly introduce a more roleplay-influenced style into the game, without it being a sudden shock to the powergamers who are used to playing a certain way?
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote