View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #22
Anasadi

Anasadi is on a distinguished road
Re: How do YOU edit source on your MUD?

Razan,

Your question can mean a lot of things for our MUD. If you refer to editors, the immortals use anything that can save a file to a UNIX text format, e.g. emacs. I use BBEdit currently. I've also used vim, pico, nano, JEdit and UltraEdit.

If you refer to the location of the code, we use an SVN repository, and for years before that CVS. Certain immortals have the code checked out locally, updating and checking in changes when needed. The production code is compiled on the server itself and svn'd there.

If you refer to the code itself, we use both Java and Scheme (a flavor of Lisp). We update the Java code, compile and test it out locally, then compile it on the server right before a reboot. We do the Scheme code the same way, except we can update it live on the MUD, no reboot required. This sorta drives our playerbase crazy, as we sometimes go for months at a time without a reboot. We also can update our areas (and mobprogs/scripts) live, but we refrain from it generally and wait for reboots to do this.

We also have been playing around with Groovy. We haven't done too much with it, however, but our mud is fully Groovy-enabled.

I hope this helps.

Anasadi
Anasadi is offline   Reply With Quote