View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Revolutionary New OLC and Scripting

Oh, you're right it is. Well, there you have it. It's actually the post mentioned in a later reply above that shows OLC to be written for CthulhuMUD, my first mud, which became NiMUD.

Although I did mention the release date inside an original release as December 31st, 1993. Merc had just came out when I was starting MUDs. The MUD I started on was a Merc 1.0, called Nameless MUD. By naming my software Nameless Incarnate, I was attempting to keep things documented. Chris Woodward was in the hospital by late 1994, so we certainly couldn't have been developing the software in 1994 together because he was incapacitated. By late 1994 he to leave Penn State during his first semester, and had gained a considerate amount of weight and was actually slightly shorter than me - whereas when I met him he was taller than me and rail thin. By December 13, 1995 he was dead. So, claims made that he somehow continued to work after the initial release is impossible and he did not work on the MUD after early 1994, if at all in 1994. That post must be from a NeXT machine which I had access to after Chris went to college. Before that I had only worked locally using DJ Delorie's GNU C Compiler for MS-DOS, which is where The Isles OLC was original written. Both Chris and I had installed this compiler as per the instructions on the Merc 2.0 port. Since we were already fans of the software, we downloaded the newest version of Merc as soon as it was made available. So, the development occurred almost immediately after Merc 2.2's release and it was later included as an add-on to Envy, but only after ILAB was written a year or so later. I believe Chris was still alive when ILAB was started, because I remember him giving me permission to permit the port, and of course being friends he thought it was a cool thing. Both of us were excited when Jason Dinkel approached us sometime later.

This is OT though, we're here to discuss NiMScripts and new OLC features, not Wikipedia or The Isles start date.

Last edited by locke : 03-17-2009 at 02:12 PM.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote