View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
js_wilson

Name: Sean
Home MUD: Aardwolf
js_wilson is on a distinguished road
Re: Encouraging Roleplaying

I'm going to have to add your MUD to my list of MUDs to check out. One thing I definitely need to do in order to help me achieve my goal of building an RP friendly MUD is to play more MUDs that have a style of play like I am trying to achieve. This seems like common sense to me.

Part of my difficulty in knowing how to run an RP friendly MUD comes from the fact that the vast majority of my MUDing experience is on more H&S style MUDs. Even with the H&S MUDs I have played though, the ones that keep me coming back are the ones with a good social atmosphere, well written areas and quests that get me sucked in to the game, and cleaver dialog from MOBs and players alike.

Basically what I need to learn as an implementer is what rewards are appropriate for me to give for good RP, and if that means I should lesson the rewards for non RP activities like crafting and monster bashing. By default, in the codebase I was originally going to use, non-combat activities like crafting and resource gathering could generate XP, and non-combat quest could be used to gain XP, but there was no built-in mechanism for rewarding RP. I feel like this would be best handled by staff members in person. I just need to get a little more experience with this type of thing so I can put together some guidelines for any future staff members who might work with me.
js_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote