View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Lotherio

Lotherio is on a distinguished road
Re: Haven Mud: Demons, Buddhist Monks and Everything Between

We're talking games with 20+ races, many playable combat classes such as acrobats and bards, hundreds of various spells from shocking bolts to hypnotizing color sprays to animating dead animals to serve as guardians, where people oft times jump into random portals to see where they lead, many including and leading to areas that are often funny 'real' references to places such as the 'Mad Tea Party' or other 'children's' literature where following the right 'story' line often translates to some 'magical' quest points (in one form or another) that equates to in game bonuses that boost make believe characters and the thread is gonna be hijacked over the verisimilitude of two overlapping layers of plate armor on a torso.

Personally, and I only speak for myself, those two breastplates haven't 'jumped the shark' for my imagination. I see Haven as making a valiant attempt at a complex armor system even if there are some inconsistencies.

In my mind, image one shows a plate vest, a real breastplate, image two shows all the little 'added' overlapping pieces that come with a gothic breastplate to make a complete suit of plate armour that includes layers of plate over shoulder and hips that typically do overly a breastplate to some extent (and as such, would cover a 'torso' while shoulders and hips are not distinct body parts themselves on Haven). The added pieces that overlay a breastplate are components in an affect achieved by adding the 'steel breastplate'.

A second thought would be that 'cheating' the idea of two overlapping breastplates would also allow strictly fighter classes without access to any magic boost/shields to be competitive with impressive magic using classes that can protect/boost themselves to a competitive edge and beyond in the realm of fighting - then again having played strictly fighters, its very easy for the mob to hit another body part that isn't protected by double plate such as the torso or the areas behind the wall shield and take serious damage. In fairness, I haven't found some other way to 'cheat' the system by overlapping plate/chain greaves over/under the cuisse or the steal breastplate that covers the arms, and they have plenty of those to go around. For all I know, I have cheated and not reported it as a bug and the staff could read this and change the way the 2nd breastplate works.

For the record, I am not a staff member of Haven. My only interest is as a player and having played Mud's for a couple of decades as well as the original LAN games that Muds stemmed from, I still find Haven the most enjoyable for myself to play - and can only recommend it, but its to each their own to decide what they like, in the end its all about having /fun/.

That said, I do find it in bad form to attempt to 'critique' other advertisements for muds following submission of one's own advertisement. The first poster to ponder two breastplates only had two posts, one for the Mud they enjoy (and unlike them, I would recommend their's as well, I have played there before), and the second one to point out the inconsistency at my inept showing of the armour system for Haven.

Lotherio is offline   Reply With Quote