View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I've written columns for Top MUD Sites in the past, and one of them dealt with sex. I've described virtual sex as "a waste of bandwidth" and I've talked about the issues of young people doing this. While I agree that online predators are a threat and that we shouldn't condone that, I think we also need to remember that there's a significant difference between roleplayed activities between characters and an adult finding some way to lure a child into a compromising situation IRL. Is it really that likely to happen, via a MUD?

Can we really hope to police all kinds of behavior? If they don't do it on your game, they can do it on IRC or AIM or MSN Messenger or via email.

In any event: This thread really isn't meant to be a discussion of how MUD administrators police sex. It's meant to be a discussion of whether players just fade to black or if they play it out. For purposes of this discussion, we'll assume the people behind the characters are adult and consenting.

So, putting the thread back on the rails: If you don't do it, why? If you do, what's the value in it and how do you do it without making it seem "goofy?"
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote