View Single Post
Old 08-28-2002, 11:08 AM   #8
Sapphar

I have to agree with this one. Say is a fine command to use. However, that said, I have played games where say is almost never used. And on those games, where players are accustomed to combing actions and emotes into one, it does come across very nicely.

When asked if you saw the High Commander recently, depending on the game you play, various responses would be equally fitting.

----------------------------------------

Sapphar nods her head a bit and comments, "Yes."

Sapphar nods.
Sapphar says, "Yes."

Sapphar pauses a moment, thinking hard. Looking up, she comments, "Yes," in a slightly uncertain tone.

Depending on the speed of the typer, all those comments could take about the same time to spit out. I personally find the first one the most interesting to read. The last one the most informative. The middle one the most blunt and fitting to a very quick line of rp. Each has a place and time.

And in small scenes, long emotes and long says are wonderful. There is nothing like truly seeing what someone looks like when they smile.

Sapphar beams at you.

Sapphar glances at you as a hint of a smile crosses her lips, slowly becoming a look of delight, her eyes lighting up and her face filling with excitement.

While not worth doing everytime, letting the full expression exist at times is wonderful to see and useful in the future to know what that character is like when she beams at folks. After all, one charactesr slow expression building to excitement when they "beam" at folks could be totally different with another character.

---------------------------------------

Nesia beams.

Nesia's face explodes with an expression of absolute enjoyment, a smile spreading as far across her face as possible and her eyes opening wide with excitement.

My character would now know that Sapphar is a touch quieter and slower to find her enjoyment, but capable of finding complete delight in something. And Nesia is quick to be happy, excited about new opportunities to enjoy herself, and shares it with the world in her expressive face. All very useful things to learn about a character, though not during a 4+ character rp session.

I say, error on the side of too short when there are quite a few characters around in a quick paced scene. Error on the side of too detailed when there are only a few characters involved and the characters would notice, pay attention to, and find important the lovely details about those around them.

Sapphar