Thread: Builders
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #19
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Creating a quality world means that you can't have areas of the game which don't fit the style and history of the world. If every builder goes their own way in linking rooms, you could have completely different styles, oh say of street layout in cities, in areas which should look similar. That prevents "creating a quality area" which will, with other areas, "work together to a comprehensible whole."

For the main city the game I've been designing, I've laid out the streets already. Some are designated upper-class residence, some middle-class residence, some middle-class business, etc. Each should conform to that or else we'd end up with upper class residences abutting lower-class residences. The layout of the geography reflects a historical pattern of settlement. Seemingly random at present, it followed historical expansion of cultures and other varying influences.

As for recruiting builders, I found it both easy and difficult. People who liked the theme and setting of the game were happy to build. The thought of a serious approach to a setting rarely used is something that appeals to people. Coders are a bit more difficult, especially since I have to believe that they're trustworthy as much as I believe in their ability.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote